What a magikal, beautiful, and successful journey this has been here all over Costa Rica, in what I have been calling “paraisotra” over the past couple months! Join me one last time for my final travel blog entry that completes a short trilogy of my Costa Rican experience from January 9th through April 1st. It documents significant events, thoughts, reflections, ideas I would like to share, and memories I dont want to forget.

It has only been just over a week since the second blog entry was published. The last event described in that entry covered my stay in Quepos, but the information about completing my Rescue Diver course there with Oceans Unlimited prooved somewhat innacurate. Immediately after posting it, my PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) teacher informed me their dive shop would be booked for the next six days, and there were no other nearby dive shops that could offer the remaining training exercises to complete the course. It was Holy Week, a time when people all over Costa Rica migrate to tourist destinations and visit family. It is perhaps the most crucial time throughout the year to ensure your travel plans, accomodations, transportation, classes, volunteer work, and any other reservations are booked well in advance, which I had done none of to receive my required final training exercises with a PADI registered instructor. Bob, the shop owner in Quepos had two solutions for me:

  1. I get on the first bus I can and head immediately back to Puerto Viejo to meet another instructor by the name of Giovanni Sandoval who had worked with Bob in the past. This option would require me to hop on the next bus to the capital, San Jose, and transfer to Puerto Viejo, eight long hours of bumpy bus riding to arrive around midnight on a touristy beach without reservations on Holy Week. I considered this to be the more adventurous, risky, and efficient option.
  2. I take it easy for the next couple days and just relax, waiting until I return to the US, where I would present a partially completed check-off sheet signed by Bob, showing the US dive shop what I had completed and what I still needed to complete. This option would be more secure and the course would probably be more rigorous and costly.

I had to make a quick decision. Considering that solution 2 would likely require I submerge my dreadlocks in a chlorinated pool, I chose option 1 with 2 as a backup plan. Put lightly, meeting Giovanni was complicated. I have had no working cell phone, internet device, and the internet cafe in town was not open until 9am the day after I arrived. I must have asked nearly a dozen or so people to borrow their phone or internet device to try and contact Giovanni, but he would not respond. The night I arrived in Puerto Viejo, I walked around with all my stuff, backpack and all, through the drunken festivities and loud music, completely hopeless at finding accomodation for the night. I walked down the beach for a kilometer or so until I came across a police station and a camping spot that closely resembled several of the camping spots I chose during my Central American bicycle trip. 15 minutes later, I had my tent pitched, my teeth brushed, and was laying down comfortably, avoiding the sand fleas and mosquitoes, dry from the periodic rain, and safe from theives. Best of all, it was free and right on the beach.

The next day I continued calling and emailing Giovanni until I gave up, found a $5 hostel called “La Ruka,” which I now recommend. It was nice to leave all my stuff somewhere safe and make another phone call which was finally a success. Giovanni picked up his phone. We talked for a moment and he grabbed two sets of scuba gear and rode over to me on his motorcycle ready to take me out to the beach.We completed my Rescue Diver course that afternoon and evening and allowed me to leave first thing the following morning to Bataan, which is north along the Carribean coast to begin a week of volunteer work with La Tortuga Feliz and the Latin American Sea Turtles of Costa Rica (LAST), patroling against Leatherback Sea Turtle egg poachers and our egg hatchery. I arrived a day early, finding myself in another small town that happned to also have a police station with great camping spots surrounding it. This time I arrived in the day time, early enough to ask for permission to camp there. They were very welcoming, offering me water to drink and shower with, cover from the rain, and an entire rack of my most favorite banana variety of all: the “date” banana. It is a small, round banana with a thin skin, and pink, date-textured and date-flavored flesh.

Midday the volunteer boat picked me up with another 15 volunteers and we rode up a canal for an hour, seeing sloths, white-faced Capuchins, and howler monkeys, and dropped us off at one of the most extroadinary beaches that I have ever been to, just north of the Pacuare river. Before even seeing it, I could hear that there was something very unique about it. The waves roared constantly, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but no one ever dared to surf, despite the smooth sandy beaches. A strong rip tide combined with abundant sharks, choppy waves, and countless other human threats produced so much danger that not even locals are ever seen going in past knee deep. Perhaps the most distinguishing characteristic of the northern Pacuare beaches is its nesting grounds for half of the worlds sea turtles, including the Green Sea Turtle, The Olive Ridley Sea Turtle, The Leatherback Sea Turtle, and the Hawksbill Sea Turtle; the former two being critically endangered.

As a volunteer, I had the opportunity to observe enormous and majestic Leatherback Sea Turtles emerge from the ocean illuminated only by the moon, stars, and our red LED headlamps to lay between 60 and 140 ping-pong-ball-sized and shaped, rubbery eggs into bags. I even got to carry the bags over to the hatchery, dig an artificial nest with my bare hands in specially prepared sand with scientists and dozens of experienced local employees formerly known as illegal poachers. According to local rumors, Nine, one of the ex-poachers that La Tortuga Feliz and LAST has converted has a connection with perhaps the only coconut coir processing machine in Costa Rica. Nine and I are now locating the machines fabricator in Nicaragua to potentially solve the malaria, dengue and excess surplus of coco husks described back in Part 1 of this blog series.

That was yesterday. Today I am back in the capital, San Jose, and tomorrow Ill be on a plane back to the US, which means this trilogy has come to a very satisfactory end. In my web browser at the time of typing, I am using one tab to write this blog, while several others inform me of other successes and great fortunes discovered, many of which I will not mention here. A couple that I will are that I received a $9,000 annual tuition waiver from the UW and a second FLAS nomination from the Global Studies Center at the UW. I hope that these words have inspired each of my readers to receive their own great fortunes and live in your own “paraisotras,” so that the entire world becomes one gigantic paradise.



¡Qué Magiko, bella y exitosa jornada que esto ha estado aquí todo Costa Rica, en lo que he llamado “paraisotra” en los últimos dos meses! Únete a mí una última vez para la entrada de mi blog de viajes final que completa un corto trilogía de mi experiencia de Costa Rica desde el 9 de enero hasta el 1 de abril. En él se documenta acontecimientos significativos, pensamientos, reflexiones, ideas que me gustaría compartir, y los recuerdos que no quiero olvidar.
Sólo ha sido un poco más de una semana desde la segunda entrada de blog se publicó. El último evento descrito en esa entrada cubierto mi estancia en Quepos, pero la información sobre cómo completar mi curso PADI Rescatar de Buseo allí con Oceans Unlimited resultó algo inexacto. Inmediatamente después de la publicación, mi PADI (Asociación Profesional de Instructores de Buceo) maestro me informó de su tienda de buceo podría ser reservado para los próximos seis días, y no había otras tiendas de buceo cercanos que podrían ofrecer los ejercicios de entrenamiento restantes para completar el curso. Era la Semana Santa, una época en que la gente de todo Costa Rica migran a destinos turísticos y visitar a la familia. Es quizás el momento más crucial a lo largo del año para asegurar sus planes de viaje, alojamiento, transporte, clases, trabajo voluntario, y cualesquiera otras reservas se reservan con mucha antelación, lo que me había hecho ninguna de recibir mis ejercicios de entrenamiento finales requeridos con una PADI instructor registrado. Bob, el dueño de la tienda en Quepos tenía dos soluciones para mí:

  1. Me sale en el primer bus que puedo y la cabeza de inmediato de regreso a Puerto Viejo para cumplir con otro instructor por el nombre de Giovanni Sandoval que había trabajado con Bob en el pasado. Esta opción me requeriría para coger el siguiente autobús a la capital, San José, y traslado a Puerto Viejo, ocho largas horas de viajar en el autobús lleno de baches para llegar cerca de la medianoche en una playa turística sin reservas en Semana Santa. He considerado que se trata de la opción más aventurero, arriesgado, y eficiente.
  2. Tomo que sea fácil para el próximo par de días y relajarse, esperar hasta que regrese a los EE.UU., donde me gustaría presentar una hoja parcialmente completado el registro de entrada fuera firmado por Bob, que muestra la tienda de buceo de Estados Unidos lo que había completado y lo que todavía necesitaba completar. Esta opción sería más seguro y el curso probablemente sería más riguroso y costoso.

Tenía que tomar una decisión rápida. Teniendo en cuenta que la solución 2 probablemente requeriría sumerjo mis rastas en una piscina tratada con cloro, he elegido la opción 1 con 2 como un plan de copia de seguridad. Puso a la ligera, el cumplimiento de Giovanni era complicado. No he tenido ninguna teléfono celular, dispositivo de Internet de trabajo, y el café de Internet en la ciudad no estaba abierto hasta las 9 am el día después de mi llegada. Debo haber pedido a casi una docena de personas para pedir prestado su teléfono o dispositivo de Internet para tratar de ponerse en contacto con Giovanni, pero no quiso responder. La noche que llegué en Puerto Viejo, me rodeó con todas mis cosas, mochila y todo, a través de las fiestas de borrachos y música alta, completamente sin esperanza de encontrar alojamiento para pasar la noche. Caminaba por la playa de un kilómetro o así hasta que me encontré con una estación de policía y un lugar para acampar que se parecía mucho a varios de los lugares de camping he elegido durante mi viaje en bicicleta de América Central. 15 minutos más tarde, tuve mi tienda montada, los dientes cepillados, y estaba acostado cómodamente, evitando las pulgas de arena y mosquitos y secos de la lluvia periódica, ya salvo de los ladrones. Lo mejor de todo, era libre y justo en la playa.

Al día siguiente continué llamando y enviando un correo electrónico Giovanni hasta que me di por vencido, se encontró un hostal $ 5 llamado “La Ruka“, que ahora yo recomiendo. Fue agradable para dejar todas mis cosas en un lugar seguro y realizar otra llamada telefónica, que finalmente fue un éxito. Giovanni tomó su teléfono. Hablamos por un momento y se agarró dos conjuntos de equipo de buceo y fuimos a mí en su motocicleta lista para llevarme a la Beach. Nosotros completemos mi curso Buseo Rescetar tarde y por la noche y me permitió salir a primera hora de la mañana siguiente a Bataan, que está al norte a lo largo de la costa del Caribe para comenzar una semana de trabajo voluntario con la Tortuga Feliz y las tortugas de mar de América Latina de Costa Rica (LAST), que patrulla contra los cazadores furtivos de huevos de tortuga baula y nuestra planta de incubación de huevos. Llegué un día antes, me encontraba en otra pequeña ciudad que occuro tener también una estación de policía con grandes lugares para acampar que lo rodean. Esta vez llegué en el tiempo del día, lo suficientemente pronto para pedir permiso para acampar allí. Fueron muy amables, me ofrece agua para beber y ducha con, la cubierta de la lluvia, y todo un estante de mi variedad de banano más favorito de todos: la “datil” banana. Es un banano pequeño, redondo con una piel fina y de color rosa, datil de textura y sabor a carne datil.

Mediodía el barco voluntario me cogió con otros 15 voluntarios y cabalgó hasta un canal durante una hora, al ver perezosos, capuchinos de cara blanca y monos aulladores, y nos dejó en una de las playas más extraordinario que he estado nunca , justo al norte del río Pacuare. Antes incluso de verlo, podía oír que había algo muy especial en ello. Las olas rugían constante, 24 horas al día, siete días a la semana, pero nadie se atrevió a navegar, a pesar de las playas de arena suaves. Una fuerte marea timo fue combinado con abundantes tiburones, olas agitadas, y un sinnúmero de otras amenazas humanas producidas tanto peligro de que la gente ni siquiera se ven cada vez va en la rodilla pasado profundo. Tal vez la característica más distintiva de las playas del norte Pacuare es su zona de nidificación de la mitad de las tortugas marinas mundos, incluyendo la tortuga de mar verde, la tortuga marina golfina, la tortuga laúd y la tortuga carey; los dos primeros están en peligro crítico.

Como voluntario, tuve la oportunidad de observar enormes y majestuosos las tortugas marinas laúd emergen del océano sólo iluminada por la luna, las estrellas, y los faros LED nuestra roja para poner entre 60 y 140 de ping-pong pelota de tamaño y forma, gomosa huevos en bolsas. Incluso tuve la oportunidad de llevar las bolsas a la planta de incubación, cavar un nido artificial con mis propias manos en la arena preparada especialmente con los científicos y de los empleados locales experimentados anteriormente conocidos como cazadores furtivos ilegales docenas. Según los rumores locales, nueve, uno de los ex cazadores furtivos que La Tortuga Feliz Y por último, se ha convertido tiene una conexión con quizás la única máquina de procesamiento de fibra de coco en Costa Rica. Nueve y ahora son la localización de las máquinas en Nicaragua para dar solución a la malaria, el dengue y el exceso de excedentes de cáscaras de coco que se describen de nuevo en la Parte 1 de esta serie blog.

Eso fue ayer. Hoy estoy de vuelta en la capital, San José, y mañana enfermedad esté en un avión de regreso a los EE.UU., lo que significa que esta trilogía ha llegado a un final muy satisfactorio. En mi navegador web en el momento de escribir, estoy usando una pestaña a escribir este blog, mientras que varios otros me informan de otros éxitos y grandes fortunas descubiertas, muchas de las cuales no voy a mencionar aquí. Una pareja que me son que he recibido una renuncia a la matrícula anual de $ 9,000 de la Universidad de Washington y una segunda nominación FLAS del Centro de Estudios Globales en la Universidad de Washington. Espero que estas palabras han inspirado a cada uno de mis lectores que reciben sus propios grandes fortunas y viven en sus propias “paraisotras”, por lo que todo el mundo se convierte en un paraíso gigantesca



Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s